BANANA AMARANTH CAKE
A moist, delicious, nutritious cake that you wont be able to get enough of- and why should you, when its so good for you?
One serving of cooked amaranth (¼ cup, uncooked) has 180 calories, 3 grams of ﬁber and 7 grams of protein and Bottle gourd or lauki or doodhi in India is a powerhouse of nutrients. High on water and rich in fibre, vitamins and minerals, bottle gourd is also an effective home remedy for many health issues.
This recipe is a great way to incorporate this supergrain and superfood into a delicious cake that everyone in your family (including kids who ‘hate dudhi’) will scarf down at top speed!
- 50g organic brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- about 2 medium sized bananas
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Amaranth flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup Bottle Gourd shredded
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat together the oil and sugar in a stand mixer or processor. Add in the mashed banana, egg, and vanilla
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir on low until just combined.
- Using a spoon fold in the gourd and walnuts.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spay and pour in batter.
- Bake for about 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
This unbelievably easy Cake is PCOS freindly, low carb, high fibre and high protein. If you’re looking to MINIMISE health risks and MAXIMISE taste, this is the dessert for you!
Do visit the recipe on youtube HERE:
Many (but not all) of the links on supritisingh.com are affiliate links. This means that a special tracking code is used and that I may make a small commission on the sale of an item if you purchase through one of these links. The price of the item is the same for you whether it is an affiliate link or not, and using affiliate links helps me to maintain this website and keep it running. You can learn more about my affiliate policy here.