My Healthy Living Starter Kit
5 magic items to fast-track your health
Over the Past 20 years or so, I’ve discovered some magical ingredients and food items that work like magic potions to cleanse rejuvenate and reset your whole system. The secret to reversing lifestyle disease isn’t in the macros or the medication. But often in the small things we eat or add to our food every day.
Even if you only add these to your daily routine, and do nothing else, you will definitely see quick results.
Without further ado, (and pun fully intended), these are a few of my favourite things!
1. Omega 3-6-9 supplement (fish oil or flax seed oil)
Omega-3 fats are a crucial part of human cell membranes. They are polyunsaturated fats, a type of fat your body can’t make. Which means you need to get them from your food.
Taking them daily has some awesome outcomes:
- They may help manage cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure levels.
- They increase HDL (“good”) cholesterol and decrease LDL (“bad”) cholesterol and help eliminate plaque build- up in the arteries, which reduces risk of heart attack and stroke.
- They may help manage or prevent depression, and regulate mood.
- Consuming omega-3s may help decrease the amount of fat in your liver
- They may help manage inflammation and joint pain
I usually take a Fish Oil Supplement , but if you are vegetarian, you can choose a Flax-based version.
2. Organic Cinnamon Powder
Cinnamon is a pretty popular spice, and always reminds me of delicious things like apple pie. What you probably didn’t know is that cinnamon has some effective health benefits as well.
- It’s high in cinnamaldehyde, which is thought to be responsible for most of cinnamon’s health benefits.
- Cinnamon contains large amounts of highly potent polyphenol antioxidants. Antioxidants protect your body from oxidative damage caused by free radicals. The antioxidants in cinnamon have anti-inflammatory effects, which may help lower your risk of disease.
- Cinnamon may improve some key risk factors for heart disease, including cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure.
- Cinnamon has been shown to significantly increase sensitivity to the hormone insulin. It has been shown to reduce fasting blood sugar levels, having a potent anti-diabetic effect at 1–6 grams or 0.5–2 teaspoons per day.
- Cinnamaldehyde has antifungal and antibacterial properties, which may reduce infections and help fight tooth decay and bad breath.
Not all cinnamon is created equal. There are two main types of cinnamon Ceylon cinnamon (Also known as “true” cinnamon) and Cassia cinnamon (The more common variety today and what people generally refer to as “cinnamon.”) All cinnamon should have health benefits, but Cassia may cause problems in large doses due to the coumarin content.Unfortunately, most cinnamon found in supermarkets is the cheaper Cassia variety.
You can find Pure Ceylon Cinnamon on Amazon.
3. Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut oil
The unique combination of fatty acids in coconut oil may have positive effects on your health, such as boosting fat loss, heart health, and brain function.
- The fatty acids in coconut oil can encourage your body to burn fat, and they provide quick energy to your body and brain. They also raise HDL (good) cholesterol in your blood, which may help reduce heart disease risk
- Several populations around the world have thrived for generations eating a substantial amount of coconut, and studies show they have good heart health.
- Lauric acid makes up about 50% of the fatty acids in coconut oil. Both lauric acid and monolaurin can kill harmful pathogens, such as bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
- You can apply Coconut Oil skin, hair, and teeth. Studies suggest it works as a skin moisturizer, protects against skin damage, and improves oral health.
In order to get the most out of it, make sure to choose organic, virgin coconut oil rather than refined versions. You can easily shop for coconut oil online.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is mostly apple juice, but adding yeast ferments the sugar in it. Bacteria then turn the alcohol into acetic acid. That’s what gives vinegar its sour taste and strong smell. Apple cider vinegar has various healthful properties, including antimicrobial and antioxidant effects.
Organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar also contains a substance called mother, which consists of strands of proteins, enzymes, and friendly bacteria that give the product a murky appearance. The mother is responsible for most of ACVs health benefits.
What’s more, evidence suggests it may offer health benefits, such as aiding weight loss, reducing cholesterol, lowering blood sugar levels, and improving the symptoms of diabetes.
However, people without diabetes can also benefit from keeping their blood sugar levels in the normal range, as some researchers believe that high blood sugar levels are a major cause of aging and various chronic diseases. Vinegar can help kill pathogens, including bacteria
Apple cider vinegar is naturally acidic and has antimicrobial properties. This means it could help improve the skin barrier and prevent infections.
It’s best to get guidance from a professional start with small doses.
There are a variety of Himachal Apple Cider Vinegars available online along with reviews and ratings. However, several other varieties are also available.
Coffee is so much more than a beverage in a cup – it’s about taste, aroma, conversation, energy, comfort – it has so many dimensions. Though it has received a bad rap on health sites sometimes (anything in excess is bad), coffee has some amazing magical qualities that make it and integral part of my health routine.
Caffeine is found in almost every commercial fat-burning supplement — and for good reason. Several studies show that caffeine increases epinephrine (adrenaline) levels in your blood causing an increase in heart rate, muscle strength, blood pressure, and sugar metabolism; thus boosting your metabolic rate.
This improves energy levels, mood and various aspects of brain function. Coffee is rich in powerful antioxidants, which fight ageing and inflammation.
Many of the nutrients in coffee beans make their way into the finished brewed coffee. A single cup of coffee contains: Riboflavin (vitamin B2) Pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) Manganese and potassium, Magnesium and niacin (vitamin B3)
Coffee drinkers have a much lower risk of type 2 diabetes, a serious condition that affects millions of people worldwide as well as a much lower risk of cirrhosis, which can be caused by several diseases that affect the liver.
You can procure pure coffee of your choice, but for its benefits and lower caffeine content, I use this 80% Chicory Blend. If you drink several cups of coffee a day, of if you prefer a smoother richer blend without the bitterness, give this one a try.
I’m truly hooked on to my morning cuppa, and I have a version of “Bulletproof” Coffee that uses simple readily available ingredients – recipe coming up in a day or two!
These are my absolute must have items to kick start your wellness journey. If you are already committed to a fitness or diet plan, you can safely include these items to your daily routine and speed up your results.
Have you tried any of these items? Is there any more information you would like on them? Are there ingredients or superfoods you need help finding or learning more about?Go ahead and leave a message, so i can include those in my next post!
Wish you health and happiness,
Health Chef | Weight Management Specialist