Chicken Bone Broth
Perfect to boost immunity and recover energy, Bone Broth builds immunity through improved gut health. It strengthens teeth & bones, supports weight loss, aids digestion and is anti-aging.
Bone broth is a close relative of stock, defined by its thickness (due to gelatin) and exceptionally long cooking time.
This highly nutritious stock can be used as a base for soups, sauces, and gravies.
One recipe which uses bone broth beautifully is this SPICY GARLIC CHICKEN BROTH
Stock v/s Broth : whats the difference?
A chicken bone broth can take approximately six hours to cook – however the longer it cooks the better. The point is to break down all of the cartilage until there’s a lot of collagen-rich gelatin in that broth.
Adding vinegar is important because it helps pull all of the valuable nutrients out of the bones and into the water, which is ultimately what you will be consuming.
This recipe uses a pressure cooker – which gives the results of a 10 hr stock in just about 5.
If you don’t cook it down as much, and keep cooking time till about 2 hrs, you’d still get a pretty good stock. The jell-o like ‘set’ one expects from broth, however, will be absent.
Flavouring your broth
You can also add vegetables, herbs, or spices to your broth to enhance the flavor. Herbs or aromats can be curative as well – common additions include garlic, onion, celery, carrot, which have the miraculous ability to mend a cold.
Straining your bone broth:
If you use a soup mesh or a muslin cloth, you will manage to get a clear jello like mixture with minimum ‘cloud’ or impurities.
Cool the bone broth and store
Its wisest to chill the broth as quickly as you can after making it. I set the bowl in the ice bath to cool to room temperature before storing. Quick chilling keeps spoilage bacteria from thriving at room temperature, and doesn’t heat up your fridge or freezer. This step make a broth that tastes better and lasts longer.
How To Make Chicken Bone Broth
I use a specific set of equipment to make and store my bone broth for maximum flavour and preservation.
- 500 g soup bones or Bones from a whole chicken (I used the carcass of a roast I had made)
- 2 stalks of celery roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic smashed and peeled
- 1 Onion, quartered
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Fresh herbs (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cold water covering the chicken carcass by about 3-4 inches
- 2 bay leaves
- Place the chicken bones into a 10lt stock pot, and cover with water.
- Add the veggies, herbs and apple cider vinegar.
- Bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat to the lowest setting.
- Partially cover, and simmer for at least 5 hours. You can cook it longer, but I would say no less than 5 hours. The longer the better!
- Strain, cool and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
*PRESSURE COOKER (THIS IS HOW I MAKE IT)
- Place all ingredients in the Pressure Cooker and add water until it is about 2/3 full.
- Place the lid on and bring to full pressure. Reduce the flame and cook for 2 hours.
- Let the pressure release naturally.
- After releasing pressure, remove the lid, and use a strainer to separate the liquids from the solids.
- Strain. cool and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Storing and using your Bone broth:
Bone broth keeps well in the fridge for up to a week or can be frozen for three months.
Chilled bone broth has a thick, jello-like thickness and a rich amber color; sometimes with a layer of thick, white fat covering the top of the broth. Don’t worry about this – its excellent to add to rice ( like this Easy Hainanese Chicken Rice) or to stir-fry vegetables.
Bone broth contains readily available nutrients and minerals that may help keep the body working at its best. In these tough pandemic times, immunity is everything. The higher your immunity, the quicker your chance of recovering from (or even avoiding, if possible) any illness.
Since it’s so concentrated, it has bags of flavour. This adds tremendous deliciousness to a diet meal. In my book, if you want to eat health, choose flavour every time! This will absolutely guarantee a “diet” thats DELICIOUS!
Love and Lightness,
Culinary Nutritionist | Weight Management Specialist
Many (but not all) of the links on supritisingh.com are affiliate links. This means that a special tracking code is used and that I may make a small commission on the sale of an item if you purchase through one of these links. The price of the item is the same for you whether it is an affiliate link or not, and using affiliate links helps me to maintain this website and keep it running. You can learn more about my affiliate policy here.